RawsthorneGenealogyPages
Genealogy of the Rawsthorne, Collits, Lees, Morris, Field, Straney and Colbran families
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

Henry Herbert LITTLE

Male 1909 - 1977  (68 years)


Personal Information    |    Media    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Henry Herbert LITTLE 
    Born 20 Feb 1909  Eugowra, New South Wales, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Gender Male 
    Photos? Grave (DSCF2641) 
    Died 24 May 1977  Hillside, Forbes Road, Eugowra, New South Wales, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Buried Eugowra, New South Wales, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Notes 
    • The following is an extract from a book compiled by William G. (Bill) Banham titled "Eugowra - Its history and Development" published in 1994.
      MARSH

      The surname of Marsh on the Eugowra Pioneer Monument represents the families and the descendants of James, born at Penrith on the 3rd December, 1832, and William, born at Cobbitty on the 4th July, 1834. Their parents were William and Mary (nee Burn).
      James and his wife Elizabeth (nee Scott) settled on a property they called 'Glenleigh.' This fronted the Lachlan River on the eastern side of the Eugowra-Gooloogong Road. They came there about 1872, arriving with a family of nine, one son Thomas having died at Cobbitty, N.S.W. in 1864. Five more children were born to the family at 'Glenleigh.' however, with this large family Allen Edward, the youngest, was the only one to produce sons to carry on the Marsh surname.
      William and his wife Annie (nee Reid) took up land in the then popular area being selected, and named their holding 'Marshdale.' This land had a Mandagery Creek frontage and was one and a half kilometers north of the present-day Payten's Bridge. The property was bisected by the Eugowra-Payten's Bridge Road.
      This couple raised a family of seven daughters and three sons. Some of the local families that the girls married into were Greenhalgh, Luraschi, Herbert, McMillan and Chislett,
      James and William Marsh had a half brother, Harry Burns Little, who was born at Camden in 1851. He also settled on a block of land immediately adjoining the northern boundary of James Marsh. His eldest son Henry spent his entire life in the district. Many descendants of these families are with us today. James Marsh was the instigator of the formation of the Eugowra Branch of the P. A. and H. , Association which eventually led to the formation of the Show Committee.
      _________________________________________________________________It is assumed when compiling this Family Tree that the listed Marsh is in fact a descendant of the Marsh family referred to above.
      _________________________________________________________________

      The following is an extract from a book compiled by William G. (Bill) Banham titled "Eugowra, Its History and Development" published in 1994.

      LITTLE

      The Property originally settled by this gentleman is now split into two sections. Portion 48 (123 ) between the Payten's Bridge Road and the Mandagery Creek is now owned by Mr. Wilf Nash. Portion 31 (159 acres) is now part of 'Fairfield ' and owned by Mr. Bruce Herbert. This block is east of the Payten's Bridge Road, where the second Trajere school was erected in 1890.

      His son Henry (Harry) selected land in the Waugan Parish just after the turn of the century. His property was immediately south of the junction of the Eugowra-Forbes-Parkes Roads. It is now owned by his grand-daughter and her husband, Frank and i)Daphne Thompson.

      Harry And his wife Martha Lavina (nee Welsh) raised their family Jack, William and Herbert on this property. The whole family spent the the remainder of their lives there.
      The three sons were active members of the community. All were players in the local football teams of the 1920's and 30's, and all were members of the Eugowra Brass Band. There are still a number of descendants in the district.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Following information provided December 1999 by his daughter, Daphne Thompson :
      Herb Little was born at Eugowra in 1909 and spend his early life at 'Hillside ', the property of his father Harry Little, until his marriage to Mary Banham in 1935. Their first 2 years of married life were spent on the Waugan road living in a home on Peter McMillan's block 'Rosebank '.
      They moved back to 'Hillside ' after having their own home built. Herb worked his own property by growing wheat and oats in the early years and later breeding fat lambs. This he continued to do until his sudden death in 1977.
      His education was obtained at the Eugowra Public School. he travelled by horse and sulky. Some of the Banham boys travelled in the same sulky with the Littles. He finished school about the age of 14 years in 1923.
      His favorite sport was playing football in the Eugowra team around 1928 to the early 1930's. Later he followed the local football team attending matches in Eugowra. he also followed the surrounding towns by listening to the radio on Sunday afternoons.
      He was a member of the Eugowra Town Band around 1922 playing the cornet. herb was also a member of the MUIOOF Lodge since leaving school until his death.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      [COLL ITS' FAMILY TREE.FTW]

      The following is an extract from a book compiled by William G. (Bill) Banham titled "Eugowra, Its History and Development" published in 1994.

      LITTLE

      The Property originally settled by this gentleman is now split into two sections. Portion 48 (123 ) between the Payten's Bridge Road and the Mandagery Creek is now owned by Mr. Wilf Nash. Portion 31 (159 acres) is now part of 'Fairfield ' and owned by Mr. Bruce Herbert. This block is east of the Payten's Bridge Road, where the second Trajere school was erected in 1890.

      His son Henry (Harry) selected land in the Waugan Parish just after the turn of the century. His property was immediately south of the junction of the Eugowra-Forbes-Parkes Roads. It is now owned by his grand-daughter and her husband, Frank and i)Daphne Thompson.

      Harry And his wife Martha Lavina (nee Welsh) raised their family Jack, William and Herbert on this property. The whole family spent the the remainder of their lives there.
      The three sons were active members of the community.. All were players in the local football teams of the 1920's and 30's, and all were members of the Eugowra Brass Band. There are still a number of descendants in the district.
    Person ID I13406  The Rawsthorne Family Tree
    Last Modified 14 Nov 2015 

    Family Frances Mary BANHAM,   b. 27 May 1912, Forbes, New South Wales, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 11 Jan 2007, Parkes, New South Wales, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 94 years) 
    Married 02 Nov 1935  Eugowra, New South Wales, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Children 
     1. Athol Charles LITTLE
     2. Daphne Joyce LITTLE
    Last Modified 14 Nov 2015 
    Family ID F5558  Group Sheet

  • Headstones
    DSCF2641.JPG
    DSCF2641.JPG

  • Sources 
    1. [S231] Our Family Roots - "Maria Collits", Gai Rimmer and Lorna Hawkins, (Name: Self Published;).

    2. [S236] Pan WILCOX.